Thursday, April 5, 2018

On Dixit and Tech Talks

After long Easter break people are slowly getting back to work here, though most schools are still on vacation. Just learned yesterday Easter break is 3 weeks long here! What the hell! Summer, Christmas, Easter - students in this country get so much time off! It may also be I feel weird getting used to full-time student again. Everyday I think I need to push myself more to do my research. Technically no public holidays apply on me. I can't tell I'm doing well with time management yet but hopefully will get there slowly. 

Anyway, this post is a short and quick update. I met a fun group of people yesterday. We played Dixit and had dinner together. It was the first time to meet them and also first time to play the game, but I almost won! I started slow, was the very last one but it started to become more fun as we played couple of rounds. The purple bunny below is mine :D (half-way through the game). The black one eventually won.


If you never played Dixit before, it's a storytelling card game where everyone has a set of cards. The storyteller picks one card and says a word or phrase or sentence that may describe the picture on that card. Then the rest of the players pick one card from their sets that may tell that story. When everyone is done selecting their cards, all players (except the storyteller) try to guess which one was the storyteller's card. If someone gets the right answer then both the storyteller and the person who could guess get points. It's actually quite fun game as it makes you analyze participants' psychology - whether they think in literal way or in creative way. 

Dinner was good. Joey made vegetarian pizza and Marcus made Scottish Haggis, which is usually non-veg but the veggie version was yummy as well. We had good conversation too.  

Today I went to tech talk series and it was actually quite interesting. It was nice to hear about practitioners working on real projects. I found the talk by a Data Scientist from Sparx particularly interesting. They are a educational research group creating personalized math lessons in collaboration with schools. Also, got to connect with the Digital Exeter Meetup organizer. I think there'll be potential opportunities to collaborate in future. 

Even though I'm not a social person in general or go to such events solely for networking, it's been a good experience. Looking forward to attending more events like this and hopefully will come across more nice people too!

No comments:

Post a Comment